Let’s face it: WordPress’ default Recent Posts widget does the job as described but it’s not very flexible. It lacks customization options, things like excluding certain entries from the list, displaying recent posts by category, or the ability to customize the HTML output can’t be done with the stock Recent Posts widget.
Hence, let me introduce Recently.
Recently is a WordPress widget that displays your site’s most recent posts. The plugin is based off of WordPress Popular Posts, another project of mine, and thus it inherited most of its features:
- Recently can list recent posts by type (post, page, or a custom post type).
- Recently can list recent posts by categories, tags or custom taxonomies.
- Recently can display post thumbnails (featured image, first image found on post content, etcetera).
- Recently can display the views count of your posts (requires the installation of third-party plugins, such as WordPress Popular Posts).
- Recently can display the comments count of your posts.
- Recently can offset the list to ignore the latest N recent posts.
- Recently grants the ability to customize the HTML output of the list.
- Et cetera.
Yes, I’m aware that there are at least a couple of plugins out there that serve as good alternatives to the Recent Posts widget already – but hey, the more the merrier, right?
Recently’s WordPress.org Homepage: https://wordpress.org/plugins/recently/