Let’s face it: WordPress’ default Recent Posts widget does the job as described, but it’s not very flexible. Things like excluding certain entries from the list or displaying recent posts by category can’t be done with the stock Recent Posts widget. You can’t change the default HTML output either, something I discovered while working on this site since I wanted it to look similar to the WordPress Popular Posts widget.
Hence, let me introduce Recently.
Recently is a WordPress widget that displays your site’s most recent posts. And it doesn’t stop there. With Recently, you can also:
- List posts by type (post, page, or a custom post type).
- List posts by categories, tags or custom taxonomies.
- Display a thumbnail of your posts.
- Display the views count of your posts.
- Offset the list to ignore the latest posts on your homepage.
- Customize the HTML output of the list.
- Et cetera.
And yes, I’m aware that there are at least a couple of plugins out there that serve as good alternatives to the Recent Posts widget already – but hey, the more the merrier, right?